Oct 24, 2012

"Weddings Just Make You Think About... Yourself"


I can’t place a finger on the movie I heard that line from last weekend when I spent a few days at home, but it’s stayed in my mind since.

Weddings make me thing a lot about myself. Like, I hope I don’t have to wear that heinous mid-length, cap sleeve dress that literally, I will never wear again. Someone will, and that someone will have to get it from the nearest donation center. And that hair…can the bride not take our feelings into consideration?! 

I’m the Maid of Honor in an upcoming wedding and I am relieved to say I am wearing a floor length chiffon gown. I slept easier the night I found that out.   

Weddings make me think of just how un-prepared I am to get married. Sometimes I can hardly make dinner for myself, let alone another human being. I can hold my own in the kitchen, but here and there really find satisfaction in eating straight from the dish or pan knowing I didn’t dirty another plate. It’s the little things in life…

Weddings tend to make me a little sappy. I see the bride walking down the aisle and turn just in time to see the groom smile in awe at the woman in white who will be his wife in just a few short moments. Close friends of mine, strangers, wedding videos on Pinterest…doesn’t matter. I think of how great it would be to give up my apartment and move to the suburbs, quit going to bed when some are getting up, and stop my highly entertaining life (to me, at least) that produces these blog posts. 

The last sentence in above paragraph is a joke. I think twice and remember why I am at this wedding and not in it.  I’m not ready to give up hangovers and hysterical morning-after stories. Debating between the $8 bottle of wine or the $10.99 case of beer. Finding reasons to book a party trolley “just because.”

Weddings make you very aware of yourself…no, I don’t want to be the one getting married right now, but why is she getting married?! What’s wrong with me? What is so right with her? Why did I get a +1 and RSVP for just myself? Does everyone have a significant other but me!? 

Well, no. I just have more fun on my own than dragging a date with me. 

And without a date and after I have run out of selfish thoughts as to why I’m here alone, I’ve sat in awe of the people before me that are sacrificing their lives apart to make a new one together. 

Weddings show you what can be and what love is. Maybe they’re my age and I can’t imagine being up there, or maybe they’re older and it makes me smile that everyone eventually finds their "someone."

I might (I mean, just a little) sound like I’m anti-marriage, but if you’re the right guy…disregard this entire post. And come find me. I might stop eating standing up in my kitchen and actually set a place at the table for you. 



27 Dresses




1 comment:

  1. you don't have to give up hangovers and morning after stories when you get married. now there is someone to go get you a biscuit and a coconut water and to tell you the stories the next morning.

    ReplyDelete